Friday, October 21, 2011

No more mediocrity!

One of my favorite quotes is from Sister Julie B. Beck, General RS President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints:

"I want you to know that I believe with all my heart that our pioneer grandmothers did not make the sacrifices they made and come across the plains for us to have better shopping malls, for us to have nicer pedicures, for us to have bigger wardrobes. My grandma Elizabeth Walmsley did not bury the children she buried along the way, and those husbands, and make that effort to get to the temple so that I could just be comfortable. Some day I will meet her and she will say, "What did you do with the opportunities I created for you? I laid the foundation." All of us build on the shoulders of someone, some giant who helped us."

What does this have to do with freedom? EVERYTHING! The pioneers made great sacrifices to colonize the west, but LONG before they entered the seen our Founding Fathers laid the foundation for freedom in our country. They sacrificed so much and we are reaping the benefits of their labors. But they didn't do that just so we could be comfortable and sit around and watch American Idol! We are not doing great things with the opportunities they created for us. We are letting them down. If we don't speak up in defense of our freedoms then we, in essence, are telling them that we don't care about the sacrifices they made.

No comments:

Post a Comment